The following are the top ten ways in which you can cure diabetes while at the comfort of your home. However, it is important to note that you first have to consult with your doctor since some of these remedies can react negatively with the diabetes meds.
- Bitter Gourd
Famously known as bitter lemons these fruits play a major role in regulating blood glucose levels by lowering the effects of glucose in the blood. Unlike most other fruits which only influence glucose metabolism in just one organ. With bitter gourd, the regulation occurs in every part of the body.
Bitter gourd helps in reducing cell insulin resistance and increase the amount of insulin secreted by the pancreas. Therefore making it suitable for people with either type 2 diabetes or type 1 diabetes. It is, however, important to note that bitter lemons cannot be used as a complete replacement of insulin shots/treatment.
- For efficiency, it is advisable that you drink juice made from a bitter gourd in the morning when your stomach is empty. You should first remove the seeds then extract the juice using a juicer. Add some water to dilute it then take it. Repeat this procedure for at least 2 months.
- You can also use a bitter guard as an ingredient in one of the dishes in your diet.
Cinnamon in powder form has been documented to help lower the blood sugar levels by increasing the secretion of insulin and increasing its efficiency in the cells. The bioactive components contained in cinnamon helps in fighting the effects of diabetes in the body.
Studies and experiments have shown that cinnamon has the ability to lower the blood glucose levels in people living with type 2 diabetes.
Despite the benefit, cinnamon bought in the grocery is mainly cassia cinnamon and it should be taken with moderation since it contains a compound known as coumarin which can be toxic and in the process damage your liver.
Ceylon cinnamon famously known as true cinnamon is the other variety of cinnamon. This is considered safe but no has less likelihood of controlling your blood sugar levels.
- In a cup serving of warm water add 1 ½ teaspoon of cinnamon then drink it on a daily basis.
- You can also boil 2-4 cinnamon sticks in a cup of water then allow it to heat for 20 minutes. Drink this solution daily until your blood glucose levels improve.
- Cinnamon can also be used as an ingredient in smoothies, warm beverages and in baking.
Fenugreek is a herb and from its hypoglycemic activity, this herb helps in controlling and preventing diabetes, lowering blood sugar levels and improving the glucose tolerance levels. Fenugreek being rich in fiber helps in slowing down the rate in which sugars and carbs are absorbed into the blood as well as increasing the secretion of insulin.
- Add at least 2 tablespoons of fenugreek in powder form to your milk
- Soak some fenugreek seeds overnight then drink the water in the morning when on an empty stomach. Don’t throw the seeds you should drink t5hem along with the water. Repeat this procedure every day for several months and you shall see a drastic improvement in your blood sugar levels.
- Indian Gooseberry (Amla)
Indian gooseberry or Amla should be the berries you seek if you need vitamin a C. Indian gooseberry also helps in improving how the pancreas functions.
- Form a paste by grinding 2-3 Amlas into a fine Squeeze the paste to form juice then mix approximately 2 tablespoons of the juice in a cup of water then drink it daily in the morning when hungry.
- You can also mix a tablespoon of Amla in a cup serving of bitter gourd then drink it each day until you notice improvements in your blood sugar levels.
- Black plum or Indian BlackBerry (Jambul)
Black Plum is a native Indian fruit and over the years has been used to control the blood sugar levels. Black plum contains hydrolyzable tannins, ellagic acid, and anthocyanins just to name a few.
With the Jambul plant, virtually just any part of it from the leaves, seeds or the berries can be used to treat diabetes. Studies have shown that the seeds and fruits have a hypoglycemic effect that helps in reducing the blood glucose levels.
In particular, the seeds have alkaloid, jambosine, and the glycoside jamboline all which work in regulating blood glucose levels.
During the fruits, season make black plum part of your day to day diet since this will boost the secretion of insulin. You can also opt to make powder from the seeds then mix it with water. Though the plant is natively grown in India you can also get it in Asian markets and in most herbal shops around the globe.
- Mango leaves
Most people don’t know that mango leaves help in regulating the levels of insulin on the body and as a result, treating diabetes. That’s not all; mango leaves also helps in lowering bad cholesterol levels in the body.
Soak overnight 10-15 green mango leaves. Filter the water in the morning and drink it the first thing when your stomach is still empty.
Dry tender and fresh mango leaves in a shade then grind them into powder. Every day take 1 ½ teaspoons of mango leaves at least twice every 24hrs.
- Curry leaves
Curry leaves are one among the few leaves that possess anti-diabetic properties. Research has it that curry leaves help in controlling diabetes by lowering the rate at which starch is digested and absorbed into the bloodstream.
Simply chew fresh and tender curry leaves in the morning when on an empty stomach. Repeat this for every day for at least three months for effective results and in the process, you will also lower the levels of bad cholesterol in the body as well as aid in weight loss.
- Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera is one of the most famous herbs in the world. This herb possesses phytosterols and anti-hyperglycemic properties that help in lowering fasting sugar levels in the body.
- Mix 1 ½ teaspoon of turmeric and bay leaves and 1 teaspoon of aloe vera, take this solution at least twice a day either in the morning or before dinner and lunch.
Guavas are rich in vitamin C and fiber and this plays an important role in regulating blood glucose levels. As a diabetic however it is advisable that you peel off the skin before consuming the guava always putting in your mind that eating too much of it is discouraged.
Also known as ladies finger, Okra has the ability to lower blood glucose levels and in the process control diabetes as evidenced by a study published in 2011. This is simply due to the fact that okra has antihyperlipidemic and antidiabetic properties.
- Soak the okra overnight then in the morning drink the water along with the okras. Repeat this procedure every day for several weeks.
- Make okras part of your diet.
Points to note
- You should keep tracking your blood sugar levels
- Eat healthily and exercise regularly
- Include fiber to your diet
- Expose yourself to vitamin D since this helps in insulin secretion
- Drink plenty of water
- Try and relax and avoid stress